Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Crazy for Sea fans





It seems that every coastal inspired room I love has framed sea fans.  Recently, however,  I saw some sea fan giclees (which are art prints on canvas) at Home Goods and I am not sure that this is a good sign for the trend or if the Home Goods buyers just hit a home run.  Usually if it is at Home Goods, it is everywhere, which means it could nearing the end of its run.  Lets hope that is not the case for sea fans since I love them and hope to use them in some upcoming spaces.  Two of my favorite friends, who happen to have exquisite taste, have sea fans adorning their walls.  Ivy and Jill's favorite sea fan "artist" is Karen Robertson (whose shell pictures appear in an earlier post) and her collection of sea fans is really appealing.

Here are Robertson's sea fans in a 
Mabley and Handler
 Interior Design Hampton House showcase

Karen Robertson arrangement with turtle shell and lime green sea fan.


Robertson's fans come in a variety of cool colors.
Natural Sea Fan by Karen Robertson


Karen Robertson




I really like her shell art, it reminds me of a greco-roman mosaic:


Here is Robertson's display at the Gift Show:



If you like her work, here is the website:  http://karenrobertson.com/.  I have also posted a few framed sea fans and coral prints by Mirror Image at Pinterest.


I am also a big fan of sea life accessories:






Snapped this picture outside a closed shop in Sarasota -- huge shells in glass jars.


Oly



I try and avoid the obvious fakes like the shell above
I like this unique barnacle vase by Tozai Home

Nothing beats real shells

This is a pretty good fake from zgallerie.com
Check out this sea urchin vase, very attractive
claytongrayhome.com

Karen Robertson also has turtle shells (and you see these sprinkled in a lot of designers' rooms) I am not as fond of these as I am of shells, although I love "tortoise shell" accents

Turtle shells are on the wall on the left and right of the window




Karen Robertson tortoise shell inspired accessories



No comments:

Post a Comment