Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Well, hello there...


My name is Amal and I am inspired --- some would say obsessed --- by beautifully designed spaces. I decided to start this blog to track my favorite trends and share my musings about interior design as well as chart the progress of my own design dilemmas. 
I have always had a love of fine art and painting – a gift from my talented artist mother, Lucelle Raad http://www.thewonderofchildren.com/.  I was born in South Africa, but grew up in Garden City, New York. My childhood was filled the coming and goings of a bohemian artist  --- I grew up running around art shows and helping with the family art business.  A graduate of Amherst College and Vanderbilt Law School, I practiced law until the birth of my first boy (I have two). Despite having chosen law as a career, my creative juices were constantly looking for an outlet and I found it in interior design. Following some soul searching, I decided to succumb to my addiction to beautiful interiors, forgo law, and return to school to study interior design.  Currently I am working with a well known designer on the North Shore of Long Island and I could not feel more blessedMy design aesthetic is somewhat eclectic -- it has classical roots with a modern flair. I love mixing comfort and beauty; the ideal space to me is inviting, cheerful, layered and embodies a relaxed, unpretentious elegance. 
My wonderful husband, two boys and I live in the Huntington, NY area, overlooking a lovely little harbor.  In addition to interior design, I love gardening, being on the water and cooking (when it doesn't involve chicken nuggets or hot dogs). My design style is new traditional in that I am somewhat eclectic -- I swoon over chinoiserie, despise clutter and dig bright colors and graphic prints (at the moment). I guess I would describe myself as a little black dress type; my secret indulgence is chinoiserie anything -- but have been known to swoon over some contemporary art pieces now and then. My favorite haunt is a fabric store or an art show, and I can barely refrain from passing an antique shop without going in. Whenever I enter a friend's house, I start mentally rearranging the furniture (after a few drinks at a party, this sometimes makes it into reality).

I have decided to hang my shingle out in the interior design business and I started this blog to help chronicle my journey.  I feel blessed to share what I love with others. Please stop by from time to time to check out the posts. I hope that you enjoy the items and pictures, and would love to hear your thoughts and comments, so please share. 

If you would like to get in touch or have a question, feel free to email me at amalkapen@gmail.com or 917-701-8383. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment