Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quick Makeover

Several weeks ago I did a quick little makeover on my grandmother's sideboard which I inherited years ago.
It's not in the best shape, and for years I had considered painting it until I saw a little makeover that Sherry at Design Indulgence did using liming wax. I was intrigued. You must check out her makeover here.

Liming wax is not easy to come by . . .  I had to order it online. But I found it to be extremely easy to use - you literally just wipe it on. Luckily, the finish on the sideboard was pretty worn so it soaked up the wax. If you have a well-sealed piece some sanding might be involved. After a little bit of tweaking (at first my daughter said it looked like it should be in a haunted house), I got the finish about right. I had to live with it a while, but it's grown on me and now I think I like it. Here's the finished product:
There's a little bit of glare from my flash but you get the idea. It's actually pretty subtle.


I've seen a lot of "limed" pieces lately . . .
This Julian Chichester piece that was recently featured on One Kings Lane.


So what do you think? Is liming for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment